I posted this photo last week as my new Facebook profile picture and the response was phenomenal! The photo was originally created back in April to celebrate my 23rd birthday, and it’s turned out to be one of my favourite self-portraits ever.
Someone in the Facebook comments asked how it was edited, so I thought I’d let you into the step-by-step process. This is one of those images that I spent a lot of time editing, so I unfortunately can’t go into full detail on what I did because it would take such a long time.
Here’s a quick summary of the edit:
- I first extended the photograph to turn it into a square.
- Then I added taller flowers to replace the phone pole and create an “alice in wonderland” feel to the image.
- I added additional clouds for atmosphere.
- I added extra hair for volume and drama.
- The main photoshop action used on the colour was “Scarlet Love“.
- After that, it was subtle colour changes here and there to create the purple tones in the flowers that I was looking for and also the additional colour in the sky. The secret here is the use of opacities and layer masks!
- To finish it off I used Alex’s Sharpy as the final sharpen.
Here you can view the changes step-by-step:
You can buy “Scarlet Love” and “Alex’s Sharpy” in The Inspired Store today!