Oh. My. Gosh. It has been driving me CRAZY that my tutorials have been of such bad quality. Seriously embarrassing. So I did some research this week, and thanks to Aaron Nace’s Phlearn Tutorial on Screen Capturing, I found the best way to do it. ROCK ON! ScreenFlow, you rock!
I’ve been receiving SO MANY QUESTIONS about this photo! Next time I do a big edit like this I am going to record it as I go from the start so that you can have a fulllll tutorial. Won’t that be awesome? But since I can’t go back in time, I had to work backwards with this one. Which might be a benefit, because this edit took me about two hours to do, whereas this video only took about ten minutes to quickly go through each step.
Want to see the Behind The Scenes video of this shoot? Click here.
1) I took a variety of photos with the flowers alternating places on the face in each shot.
2) I brought all of these shots into Photoshop and mixed them together to make it appear that the flowers were there on their own.
The “secret” behind adding the flowers = Layer Masks.
3) Then I worked on clearing out the background.
The “secret” to adding the background = Command + Alt + Shift + E merges all the layer. Then I take my rectangular marquee tool ( ). I selected the cleanest area of the background, copy pasted it, and stretched the sides of it. I then duplicated the layer (command+J) and flipped it by dragging the corners to the opposite side. I then put it in place, and used a layer mask to finely outline my hair and body from the new background.
4) I then used Frequency Separation technique. Please check out a full tutorial of it here (this is how I learned it).
5) I added definition with my “CONTOUR” Photoshop action. [buy it today here] I pressed play and then used my black brush to draw over all of the shadowed parts, and my white brush at a low, soft opacity to draw over all of the highlighted parts.
6) I added “Boom Boom Pow” Photoshop action at 52% only to the flowers [buy it today here].
7) I added “Boom Boom Pow” Photoshop action at 39% only to my eyes [buy it today here].
9) I used “Alex’s Sharpy” [buy it today here] only on the eyeballs using layer masks.
10) I adjusted the hair to add more volume.
11) I changed the colour of my hair by adding a layer on Color Mode and added the blue colour to the hair.
12) I added “Scarlet Love” at 52% Photoshop action at 52%[buy it today here].
13) I added “Poison Ivy” at 50% Photoshop action at 50% [buy it today here].
14) I changed the colour of my lips by adding a layer on Color Mode.
15) I changed the colour of the flowers by adding a layer on Color Mode.
16) I added the “Maracas” Photoshop action [buy it today here].
17) I used some editing of my own to boost the colour even further.