Welcome to Wonderful Wednesdays, a series on my blog where each week I share an inspiring video along with some of my favourite links from that particular week! I hope you enjoy what you find here, and if you have any awesome links you would like to share – feel free to leave them in the comments section below! :)
Big thanks to Carla who showed me this amazing video. I love the video because it features model Lily Cole discussing the concept of “perfection”. As someone who is constantly depicted as looking like society’s definition of perfection it is so wonderful to see that she is more than just the “perfect” face. In fact, she’s not the “perfect” face that she is depicted to be. And that’s what makes her even more interesting and beautiful. In a way it’s quite sad that as a culture our definition of “perfectly beautiful” is not even attainable. And as she says, that’s how they sell products, by making you feel like you can reach perfection with the purchase of their product. On the other hand, it feels contradictory to me because when I am making my art work I want to create as much beauty in the image as possible, that’s what makes it so eye catching to me, so it’s a hard thing for me when I think about it. Are we shooting our society in the foot and creating an impossible measurement of perfection? Or is that okay, because without our constant desire to be better at everything in our lives we would never grow as people, and as Lily says life would be static and boring. What do you think?
The links I’m loving this week? Check them out below:
- Tony Robbins asks why we do what we do. Someone mentioned Tony Robbins to me in an email the other day (I didn’t know who he was) and ever since I swear he is appearing EVERYWHERE. I love it :)
- My Show & Tell Chatty Tuesday video blog featuring my FAVOURITE IPAD APPS! How could you say no to that?
- Jose Villa workshop posts always make me jealous!
- I love love love when people appreciate the tutorials I do and then share them. It makes me so happy and all worthwhile!
- I wish there was an easy way to squeeze out all of Sue’s posing knowledge from her brain into my brain ;)
- The FIFTY THINGS EVERY CREATIVE SHOULD KNOW. Love lists like this!
- Sheryl Sandberg (my hero) leaves work every day at 5:30 and you should too!
- Loving these unique boudoir shots! Beautiful!
- This week I went cosmetics shopping and may or may not have an obsession with beauty youtube videos.
- Success is not what’s in your bank account, but what’s in your head. I love this post, it really resonated with me.
- Things I wish someone had told me when I was 18. Again, I love posts like this. Inspirational, motivational, insightful.
- Photographers: Chances are YOU SUCK. Someone shared this with me on Facebook and I thought it was interesting.
- There’s No Reason You Can’t Start >> Words of wisdom from the founders of Instagram, who now have much reason to celebrate.
That’s all for today, folks. I hope you have a beautiful Wednesday! To those of you who have been connecting on Instagram with me (@alexbeadon) – ROCK ON!