1) There is an art to everything.
I see art everywhere now. There is an art to chopping, to science, to driving, to swimming, to loving, to giving. There is an art to everything, and it’s beautiful when you take the time to notice.
2) Being an artist requires courage, strength and humility.
Being an artist requires you to create work that some people will love and that some people will hate. I can’t tell you the amount of times I have felt so nervous posting photos, for fear of what people would think or say. I have found the courage each time to create this work, the strength to post the work, and the humility in the fact that the whole world is watching and judging.
3) You can’t and won’t please everyone with your work.
Everyone has their own opinions and preferences, and it’s impossible to find something in your art that’s “one size fits all”. Don’t be scared of this. Embrace it.
4) My most inspired times are the silent, quiet and thoughtful times.
This is why I strongly believe that there is such thing as “shooting too much”. If I am so busy that I can’t find the time to sit and think, then I’m missing out on major moments of pure inspiration and creativity. This is key to my growth and success, and I know this.
5) We each have our own inherent style without even recognising it.
The key is in our differences. All we have to do is allow ourselves to freely create without worrying so much about finding a style, and ouila – it develops all on its own.
6) Inspiration comes when you least expect it.
You cannot schedule or plan to create pure brilliance each and every time. Most times, your greatest successes will come as a total surprise – that’s the fun of it :).
7) It is art if it makes you feel something.
It has always been so important for me and so difficult for me to define art. But I finally found my definition, and it has really helped me hone in on what I want to bring to my art work.
8) You need to make time for your art.
Alone time. You and your camera. Whether you are feeling inspired or not. Time to create and let loose. No deadlines, no pressure, no clients. Just you and your camera.
9) Art can and should make a difference.
I constantly wonder how will I make a difference with my art?
10) We are all artists whether we know it or not.
Yes, we all are. It’s beautiful.
11) There is no room for jealousy.
We all get jealous, we’re human. “I wish I had taken that photo” “Why can’t my photos look like his?” “When will I reach her level?” etc…etc… I don’t know about you – but jealousy has the power to consume me. So I have eradicated it from my life. If I feel jealous, I replace it with positivity. It is not a race. You can’t be anyone else but yourself. Learn to love that YOU are the only one who can create work like you can :).
12) Passion trumps talent every time.
All you need is passion. A person who is 100% passionate and 50% talented is a million times more interesting to me than someone who is 50% passionate and 100% talented. Passion is extraordinarily powerful.
13) There is no limit to how much you can grow as an artist. Constantly challenge yourself to be better.
In my opinion the only path to constant improvement is to constantly create and to constantly be challenging yourself to leave your comfort zone and think outside of the box. Do it! :)